Need a simple plan of how to set up in practice as a therapist?
Join me for my masterclass in setting up in therapy practice.
Tuesday 18th December at 3pm GMT
There are so many pitfalls to starting in business as a therapist and the sad reality is, that many lose their way before they’ve even really got going for one of a few reasons:
- You’ve no business or marketing experience and don’t know how to get the clients in
- You’ve come into the business without a clear idea of what you want to achieve
- You’ve still got a lot of confidence to develop before you can treat people.
- You’re not sure you can make claims about your practice without some experience and without experience you cannot make claims.
- You’ve no real tangible support to being in practice.
When I started out, 12 years ago, there were no other hypno-psychotherapists in my small town so I did have some advantages. However, it still had its challenges and these were some of them:
- What do I say in an advert?
- Where do I advertise to get the people in that I know I can help?
- Who can I trust from those that phone me with their advertising or SEO proposals?
- What do I charge?
- Where do I work from?
- Do I give a free session or not?
- What is a reasonable price for a website?
- How do I get a website?
- Which professional association do I belong to and why?
- What should my supervisor be doing for me?
- What sort of CPD do I need?
- How do I specialise?
- What do I put on a website?
- How do I do my tax returns?
- How do I structure my accounts?
- How do I see myself as a business and not a charity!
Don’t waste your time and money on costly mistakes!
I sadly learned the hard way. I was stung at least twice by some high investment, no return advertising scams that did my business harm. I advertised pointlessly in publications that gave no return. I spent £6k on a website I hated. I suffered with trying to organise my accounts – I still find this a challenge. And I struggled with what to charge. My first fee was just £35 per hour. And I felt that was expensive. I really wrestled with myself to charge the NHS, when they contracted me within the first year of my practice, a whopping £45 per hour! Now I find it almost quaint that I struggled with this so much.
I’ll describe on this call just what kinds of support you need to become a truly confident & grounded therapist that is less likely to burnout when you get busy
The things I got right was having a great supervisor who really challenged me and my perspectives which helped me expand my confidence and my practice. My training was with a school whose ethos was you can treat anything if you understand the individual and after 3 years of hypno-psychotherapy study and reflection I felt able to do credit to that culture. Just keep an open mind and use your creativity and your innate wisdom – an ethos that sits comfortably with my Buddhist practice and that I continue to promote in TheOpenMindTherapist.com. I’ll share with you some of those insights to get you feeling more confident more quickly.
Save yourself hundreds and even thousands of pounds by listening to the advice I can give from my hard won business savvy
Trial and error has given me some experience that I’d rather I shared with you so that you can get yourself up in practice sooner and more efficiently and make really good use of those hundreds or even thousands of pounds you spent getting yourself trained to help other people.
I’ve done so much work promoting my business:
it’s about time I shared it with you
I’ve literally spent hundreds of hours networking and talking to small business, online and offline, and hundreds of hours reading and studying about marketing so that I can get to know just what to do to help me promote and expand my business. Along the way, I’ve had to step out of the Florence Nightingale image of selflessly helping others to adopt a more pragmatic approach to my practice so that I can earn the income that I’m really worth.
I’ll show you
- How to be proud of what you do and attract a higher fee than your competitors.
- How to present yourself and your unique personality in the best light possible to attract the clients you want
- How to choose the right supervisor for you
- How to choose the right professional organisation for you
And I’ll also show you a few ideas about:
- What to say in your advertisements
- Where to advertise on line
- Where to advertise online free of charge
- Where to give talks to get your name out there
- What to put in them – subject matter
- How to do video blogs and why
- I’ll explain what a backlink is to your website and how to get them
- I’ll explain how you can network with your local business community to get clients and additional business know-how
- How to pitch for business
- What to expect from your pitches
- Why multiple advertising channels work best and how to create them
- How many days/weeks/months you might expect to need to get yourself set up
- How to get your head round charging for what you do and to get clear about running your practice as a business.
- How to realise your true value and carve out a niche for yourself.
Whoa! There’s so much to learn and to know. The great thing is, that instead of making a one off, very expensive business mistake or even, a lower cost series of business mistakes such as putting poorly worded ads in local papers at £70 a shot, I’ll take you through the whole process for just £25. And I’ll do it because I want you to be a success and the more of you that recommend your friends or colleagues to this audio, the more you’ll share in my success making sure none of you are stung by the same scams that I was. We’re in a mutually beneficial situation here. You pay me a small fee to give yourself the best start possible and from making huge mistakes, and the more of you that spread the word the more I’ll make out of my valuable experience. I’d call that a mutually beneficial, win-win proposition, wouldn’t you?
How much different could my start up have been had I had this knowledge all in one place 12 years ago!
I just wish I’d had this information all in one place when I first started out so that I could get advance warning of some of the scams and pitfalls that you need to navigate to get through those first crucial years of being in practice.
I’ll show you how to market your uniqueness so that you get the right clients for you. Do not delude yourself into thinking that your colleagues will take work away from you. Finding your niche and understanding what you bring uniquely that is you to your therapy practice, will go a long way in setting you apart from your competitors and giving you a unique USP. I’ll challenge you on who you are and what you are about in your therapy practice. And I’ll do that because it’s something I’m now, in the last 5 years or so, constantly reflecting on. What do I bring that is uniquely me and how do I value it?
Stay in touch with me
If you have comments or questions to ask, email me now or them at the end. If there are many questions, I’ll put on another teleseminar included in the £25 to iron out any queries you have.
Remember, you can purchase the live call or even if you land on this page after the live call, and could kick yourself for missing it, have no fear. This call will be recorded and just by subscribing below you will automatically be sent the audio replay which you can listen to again and again at your leisure.
Just make sure you have some paper handy as you listen so you can get transcribe in your own voice, some of the ideas that I’ll be sharing with you to help develop you in your practice. When you subscribe, I’ll send you the dial in number and the access codes, and any handouts, to get to listen to this call live.
See you on the call!